Project: Climates of Inequality in The Bahamas

Sustainable energy, eco-friendly systems, reducing our carbon footprint

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Sally Everson 1 week, 5 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Post a link to a source of information about this topic that interests you. This source can be any media – newspaper, website, report, a posting in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a link and comment from a WhatsApp group. It could be something someone made (like a meme, video or text message/post ) about the sustainable energy, greener systems, reducing our carbon footprint here in Grand Bahama or the northern Bahamas before, during or after Dorian.  Most of you had examples of the issues you identified – so here I want you to post a source of information about it – so we can all be on the same page as to what is being said “out there” that our audience is talking about. TRY TO preview the posts before posting to avoid duplication. I don’t want 5 images of windmills or solar panels!

After you post it — then comment about it. Why did you select it – and how can we use this to help shape our research – what questions does this raise for us here and now in terms of climate change and climate justice?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Dr. Sally Everson. Reason: fixing topic title

Richa Hall
    Participant

https://www.mckinney.com.bs/changes-in-the-bahamian-environment-how-we-can-reduce-our-carbon-footprint/

I selected this source because it discusses the simple ways that we as Bahamians can contribute to reducing our carbon foot print. It detailed that with the rise of the  heat index, there is a simultaneous increase in the amount of energy usage. I like that it sheds light on how not only does the increase in our energy use affect our carbon foot print, but it also results in depletion in the supply of energy, an increase in energy costs and the acceleration of climate change; it is all interrelated.  I think that this can emerge questions such as:  How can big industrial companies in Grand Bahama look into reducing their carbon footprint? What are they doing to ensure that their actions aren’t causing further adverse effects to the environment ? Also, what can the government implement to make it mandatory that eco -friendly and sustainable practices are utilized by such companies?

Christalia Wells
    Participant

https://thenassauguardian.com/2014/06/20/bahamas-waste-helping-to-reduce-the-countrys-carbon-footprint/

I simply selected this source because it interested me more than any other one I looked into. I also chose it because it’s an old article. This speaks about how a Bahamian company is trying to reduce our country’s carbon footprint along with getting other companies to participate. BahamasWaste was the first company to offer cardboard recycling.  I think that this can emerge questions such as: What other big companies can we get to do things to reduce our carbon footprint? What can the people that live here to do to reduce our carbon footprint? What ways can major companies and schools use energy more efficiently? What other major items that are often used can be recycled?

Jalia Russell
    Participant

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/2012/02/bahamians-embrace-plan-to-reduce-carbon-footprint-17884.html

I selected this source of information because it is very informative on ways the Bahamas is working to reduce energy and carbon foot print in the future. Even though the Bahamas is a small country, we still contribute to global problems. The government is now trying to lower consumption. This article can help shape our research because it gives how the Bahamas is transforming slowly but surely in its ways of reducing energy and carbon footprint. Some questions that can be used are: How much will the statistic percentage relinquish once energy is reduced?  Who will benefit from the reduction of Energy Efficiency  and Carbon Footprint? How will the Bahamian people benefit from this process? What are ways residents of the Bahamas can contribute to the transformation?

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

These are great sources! I know there is a lot of interest in this issue here and even on our campus we had started a recycling program and there were students I think in Science club working along those lines. Unfortunately, I think most went to Hampton this semester, but perhaps Dr. Moxey can help direct us to other specific sources of information on this issue especially in Grand Bahama. If you are posting in this group — you want to continue scanning and collecting information about this topic – especially here in GRAND BAHAMA – and even specific groups, persons, or companies and their efforts. We will need to identify a person to interview about this issue in Grand Bahama – I am working on identifying and setting that up now. So keep it up. You will need to make your subtopic selection and submit a draft research question by end of day Monday, Nov. 11th. I will be posting the example questions – but you all have some great ones here so far! You are working the research process !!

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Another example of a local source – I saw this posted in Facebook a couple of weeks ago and I had saved it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=527971931359584

It is a video about the UB Oaks FIeld efforts at recycling on campus.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.