Project: Climates of Inequality in The Bahamas

Storm preparation and planning

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Chade Hanna 1 week, 2 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Post a link to a source of information about this topic that interests you. This source can be any media – newspaper, website, report, a posting in YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. (Unfortunately images cannot be uploaded to this forum – but save any images including screenshots from WhatsApp or other personal communications that might be relevant.) It could be something someone made (like a meme, video or text message/post ) about the storm preparation and planning here in Grand Bahama or the northern Bahamas before, during or after Dorian. Most of you had examples of the issues you identified – so here I want you to post a source of information about it – so we can all be on the same page as to what is being said “out there” that our audience is talking about. TRY TO preview the posts before posting to avoid duplication. I don’t want 5 links about destroyed supplies or the same report!
    After you post it — then comment about it. Why did you select it – and how can we use this to help shape our research – what questions does this raise for us here and now in terms of climate change and climate justice?

Thelema Barrow
    Participant

http://archive.miamigov.com/EmergencyManagement/docs/How_To_Prepare_Guide_Hurricane.pdf

I chose this article because it clearly and efficiently explains what to do in the event of a hurricane. It divides various preparation protocols into sections and provide examples on how to carry out these procedures. It has many diagrams and charts to that the information can be visualized for those who understand better with pictures. I believe it was thorough and provided pertinent information that many people may not be aware of such as what you expect to experience besides the obvious heavy wind and rain. After reading this article, I’d recommend anyone new or used  to the hurricane game to review it and carry out its instructions

Ayoub Key
    Participant

Adequate Storm preparation and planning

Link: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/ready.php

Comment: The reason why I selected the website “National Hurricane Center and Central Pacific Hurricane Center” was because of the information it provided such as a general list of contacts you need to get and keep before a storm, Supply kit and what all is needed, Emergency plans and so much more. The web page also has different sections you can go into to receive more information such as latest satellite imagery, radar imagery, tropical cyclone advisory and again so much more.

Rickeia Wilson
    Participant

http://www.royalbahamaspolice.org/crime_prevention/crimetips/hurricane%20safety%20tips.pdf

I chose this article because it speaks specifically to experiencing hurricanes in the Bahamas. This article gives tips on what should be done pre- hurricane season, when a hurricane watch or warning is given and before, during and after the storm. Although these tips may seem shallow they can be a matter of life and death during a hurricane. One tip that stood out to me the most was the final one. It said “be patient, things will take a while to get back to normal”. This reassures is that even though things may look down after hurricane Dorian we will get back to normal as we continue to rebuild together!

AshleyRolle
    Participant

https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/readiness/00_docs/CDC_Hurricanes_PreparednessSafetyMessaging_June2018_508.pdf

I choose this source because it shows ALOT of information to plan for a hurricane and floods. It gives good amount of details to prepare for a hurricane. It  shows what to prepare before and after the hurricane, it also shows how to prevent injuries and illness after the hurricane. it gives details about what to do when you need to evacuate or decide to stay home. The interesting  thing I notice about this source is it has information about flood water safety. After hurricane Dorian we really need to learn more about flood water safety.We need to know what to do and what not to do.

Rohnnae Missick
    Participant

https://www.tennessean.com/story/weather/2019/08/28/how-to-prepare-for-hurricane/2141393001/

I choose this article because it provides a considerable amount of information on how to prepare for a hurricane from supplies you need to gather to preparing your house on surviving the hurricane. The article gives you ways to prepare your pool, patio, roof and trimming techniques for trees surrounding your home. It shows you how to prepare if you have a pet and that hurricane shelters  should be the last resort. This article advised you to always have a plan, what type of generator to buy incase per is lost and how much watts. What and what not to do with a generator and safety tips. This article also gives a great list of supplies you might need for the hurricane and after the hurricane. This webpage even has a video of someone talking about these various tips which I think is very helpful.

Tashieka Leary
    Participant

https://www.bahamas.com/relief

I selected this article because it brings awareness to the aftermath of the storm.  Many foundations are here on the ground and are willing to assist.  It gives people around the world to an opportunity to  channel their donations through and trust worthy charity.  

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

The official sources from the government and NEMA are great sources to start with – because that is what we all had access to for Dorian. I was collecting the advisories that went out as the storm got closer and then in the immediate aftermath – so I could see what was the official information. NEMA had an updates page I think they started on Sept. 2nd.

I think posting local information on this is what we need here. I know there are all kinds of information in other countries on storm preparation but I am not sure states like Tenneesee really relate as much – since they are mountainous inland places. As for the USA – CDC information – that is for the US places – which I think have very very different resources available. So try to find local-focused materials. Other Caribbean island states might be more pertinent.  I also would like to see information from local persons who were sending out information through social media – did churches or other community organizations, for example, do this? On social media – I saw a lot on Facebook, Twitter, Insta and in WhatsApp. I will post a few examples.

If you are posting in this group and are interested in writing about this topic – you will need to continue scanning and collecting information about this issue – especially here in GRAND BAHAMA – and even specific groups, persons, or companies and their efforts. We will need to identify a person to interview about this issue in Grand Bahama – I am working on identifying and setting that up now. So keep it up. You will need to make your subtopic selection and submit a draft research question by end of day Monday, Nov. 11th. I will be posting the video and assignment and example questions  today – but you all have some great ones here so far! You are working the research process !!

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

https://youtu.be/GTMmGknC4qc

This ZNS News item- covers the destruction of HIgh Rock and Bishops Resort with an interview with Mr. Roberts about the destruction of all his properties and about his decision to evacuate.

I am putting this is as an example of linking to YouTube – which is a great resource that I forgot to mention!!

Latera McIntosh
    Participant

One local Chef traded his pots and pans for a Jetski and he was determined to save lives during Hurricane Dorian. Shasheena Rolle-Farqhuarson reports.

Posted by ZNS Bahamas Northern Service on Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Warning Letter Post Hurricane Dorian:

“The designated  residents of East grand Bahamas,Queens Cove,Lady Lakes ,Arden forest, Heritage Estate, Huston Estate”  ( Just  to name a few) I encourage residents to make provisions to move with their family members and pets to a shelter.”    By. Prime Minister Minnis

I selected this article; to bring awareness to the residents of the evacuations zones. Mainly  because while you are not taking  evacuation warning serious it actually putting others persons lives at risk.

Joseph Major
    Participant

https://www.ryobitools.com/landscapes/articles/The-Ins-and-Outs-of%20Storm-Preparation

I chose this site because it carefully lays out all the steps you need to take to be prepared for a hurricane. It lays out all outdoor and indoor preparations and even provides a handy post hurricane survival plan in case something goes wrong .

William Brown
    Participant

Hurricane Planning Checklist

I chose this link because of the detailed break-down of what to do post/pre storm. This link really has my support because it is not confined to just The Bahamas but the entire world. Being a survivor of one of the worst storms ever recorded I must say that preparation and planning can go a long way between the thin line of life and death. I have seen the destruction these storms can inflict first hand and do not want anyone in the path of them without knowing how to properly assess and help the situation.

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

William – we need to keep this focused – as it says on information about Grand Bahama for this assignment. Or at least the Bahamas. Find a local source – there is a lot out there such as In Freeport News and Nassau Guardian as well as local news channels such as ZNS News or EyeWitness News which posts their videos in YouTube.

AshleyRolle
    Participant

https://bs.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/disaster-preparedness/hurricane-preparedness/

I choose this article because its shows how to prepare and plan for hurricanes in the Bahamas. It provides you with checklist you can know what to do and what not do. It has a EVACUATE OPTION for those who need or want to leave their homes during the hurricane. This article provide additional sites for additional information you want know like the weather channel website.  They also give you tips if your a VISTER to the Bahamas and want to ride out the storm. I also choose this source because it provides shelters  and emergency numbers in Grand Bahama . They also provide you a list to know what to bring when you decide to go to a hurricane shelter

William Brown
    Participant

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2019/aug/29/grand-bahamians-get-ready-hurricane/

I chose this link because it discusses the preparations that the government made along with the citizens. Grand Bahama has had many storms to hit the island but this was the worst by far. I approve this link mainly because of the personal insight of many prosperous Grand Bahamians.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.