Project: Climates of Inequality in The Bahamas

Safe and affordable housing, fair flood zone management

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Outten 1 week, 4 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Post a link to a source of information about this topic that interests you. This source can be any media – newspaper, website, report, a posting in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a link and comment from a WhatsApp group. It could be something someone made (like a meme, video or text message/post ) about having safe and affordable housing, and fair flood zone management here in Grand Bahama or the northern Bahamas before, during or after Dorian. Most of you had examples of the issues you identified – so here I want you to post a source of information about it – so we can all be on the same page as to what is being said “out there” that our audience is talking about. TRY TO preview the posts before posting to avoid duplication. I don’t want the same 5 images or articles about the evacuated areas!
    After you post it — then comment about it. Why did you select it – and how can we use this to help shape our research – what questions does this raise for us here and now in terms of climate change and climate justice?

Asjahnae Ambrister
    Participant

https://www.newhomesource.com/guide/articles/how-to-build-a-hurricane-resistant-home

I have chosen this information source because it provides you with the information on the different ways you can build your homes, the type of materials they suggest you to use to withstand a hurricane and other storms, and what not the build onto your homes. This source gives you quite a bit of information on hurricane-resistant homes. It also mentioned how after hurricanes Harvey and Irma, they implemented building codes for houses. For example, they established a requirement for impact-resistant doors and windows in hurricane-prone areas. What kinds of building materials can withstand hurricanes? How can I prepare my home for a hurricane? How can I build an affordable hurricane-resistant home? Do you think The Bahamas should implement building codes or laws for hurricanes?

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

This source of information is not about Grand Bahama or The Bahamas – which is what the assignment is asking for. I agree with your questions and this could be used for your research paper – but it is not relevant for this assignment – on trying to scan to see what is known about this subtopic – HERE in GRAND BAHAMA.

Try to find a local source of information — Freeport News, Nassau Guardian, even ZNS News or EyeWitness News (in YouTube) has information about rebuilding efforts and how do we rebuild safely.

If you are posting in this group and are interested in writing about this topic for the research essay – you will need to continue scanning and collecting information about this issue – especially here in GRAND BAHAMA – and even specific groups, persons, or companies and their efforts. We will need to identify a person to interview about this issue in Grand Bahama – I am working on identifying and setting that up now. So keep it up. You will need to make your subtopic selection and submit a draft research question by end of day Monday, Nov. 11th. I will be posting the video and assignment and example questions today – but you all have some great ones here so far! You need to work the research process — review my lecture on that if necessary!!

Timmeka Pinder
    Participant

https://thenassauguardian.com/2017/10/12/building-code-reviewed-focus-flooding-surges-hurricane-force-winds/

https://hurricanemanagementgroup.com/nassau-bahamas-fema-flood-barriers-panels-homes-business-protection/

I chose these sources because they seem to be most relevant and provide beneficial information. In October 2017, Desmond Bannister spoke in the house of the assembly about the short comings of current building codes, and the necessity to review the existing code to implement provisions for flooding and surges. He spoke about introducing a map of flood zones for controlling construction in those areas, and working with the meteorological office on a wind speed map. His main point was to make provisions to include environmental and climate changes. Also in 2014, the Hurricane Management Group(HMG) offered to assist Nassau with the design of flood protection barriers and panels. It is said to be a temporary or permanent option for protection against property damage and human casualty. HMG works throughout the USA and Caribbean.

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

That is a great source Timmeka. I agree it is very relevant to know what has been talked about this issue by the government to make buildings safer and able to withstand stronger storms and surges. Continue searching for such sources of information here – and generate questions about what we still would like to know. Be sure to watch my video lecture on Formulating a Good Research Question to help you generate good solid ones.

Tashieka Leary
    Participant

https://www.insider.com/hurricane-dorian-satellite-flooded-bahamas-2019-9

This image was selected to show the magnitude of the flooding here on Grand Bahama Island.  This can be used as a point of reference for us to know which areas to be cautious of when purchasing land and building our homes.  If these areas are deemed uninsurable then they should not be inhabited, used for research only or should have specific building codes to follow.

Amanda Outten
    Participant

LIFE ON THE STREET

LIFE ON THE STREET – A CLOSER LOOKPanhandlers on the streets of New Providence are a daily sight for motorists. Many of them are believed to be suffering from a mental health issue or a drug addiction. Well Our News team took a closer look at the issue. In this report our Jillian Gray shares the stories of four vagrants.

Posted by Our News Bahamas on Monday, June 3, 2019

I posted this link because it is relevant to the topic of providing safe and affordable housing. This link can assist by providing evidence to the affordable housing problem of which, the Bahamas has been nurturing well before hurricane Dorian displaced thousands of people outside of their homes. The Bahamas which is said to be the third wealthiest country of north America with a population of less than half a million people shamefully has homeless people who actually are living on the streets because of economic distress. Before hurricane Dorian, the government has been bamboozled by its elected lead governmental representatives, whom has created economic misrepresentation of its real citizens and native people, economic confusion among the people and ultimately economic distress on the lives of the native people. Just after hurricane Dorian, the great fear was for another hurricane to come, the survivors of Dorian could not stand it but what if a hurricane did follow after Dorian and target New Providence? How are we as a governing nation body economically and structurally prepared to secure the lives of over two hundred thousand people in an immediate, life-endangering, climate based emergency, such as a major hurricane or even a tsunami, if we are struggling to safeguard the normal, everyday lives of just five, ten or maybe fifty to one hundred people from out of the danger of dwelling and surviving on the street?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.