Project: Climates of Inequality in The Bahamas

Oil spill, industrial pollution, environmental contamination

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Sally Everson 1 week, 5 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Post a link to a source of information about this topic that interests you. This source can be any media – newspaper, website, report, a posting in YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a link and comment from a WhatsApp group. It could be something someone made (like a meme, video or text message/post ) about the oil spill, industrial pollution, or environmental contamination or degradation here in Grand Bahama or the northern Bahamas before, during or after Dorian.  Most of you had examples of the issues you identified – so here I want you to post a source of information about it – so we can all be on the same page as to what is being said “out there” that our audience is talking about. TRY TO preview the posts before posting to avoid duplication. I don’t want 5 videos of oily pigs here!

After you post it — then comment about it. Why did you select it – and how can we use this to help shape our research – what questions does this raise for us here and now in terms of climate change and climate justice?

Malika Cooper
    Participant

Malika Cooper
    Participant

I selected the sub topic on oil spill because it’s a huge matter here in Grand Bahama that needs to be corrected urgently. It will only lead to even more issues if it’s not fixed. In the article , the information came straight from the sources mouth, Mr. Kevin Stuart, Equinor Operations Manager. This helps me a lot because I’m not worrying if the information is true or not and I do trust that the Tribune quoted exactly what he said and didn’t leave anything out. Equinor is a oil company here in Grand Bahama that stores crude oil in the tanks that were blown off, this is in fact a wealthy company that has more than enough money to correct this oil spill issue; within a timely matter at that. So my question is, after two long months, why hasn’t this issue been dealt with? With the slow rate they’re going, we’ll lose plenty of our marine and terrestrial life by the time they’re finished.

Tyroneka
    Participant

Tyroneka
    Participant

I choose this topic because it interest me greatly. It interest me because once upon a time fishing was our number one industry in The Bahamas. And as the banking market and the tourism market is getting more competitive; fishing, our third industry needs more attention. While everyone is focused on the oil spill in Grand Bahama, they have been blinded from many other oil spills and contaminations. For one, the oil dredging that toke place off South Abaco, the vast amount of garbage and pollution to our water,  the crawfish powder that is killing our coral reefs, and the list goes on. The activities above not only kills our fisheries but it kills our coral reef, which protects us against Major hurricanes like Dorian. When contaminated Fish dies or are eaten, the contamination is eventually spread to humans and water Bourne diseases are created. On top that, contamination may cause entire species to be wiped out which in return  interrupts the animal food chain in the Bahamas. Some argue that generations to come will never see a queen conch. Moreover, turtle were not always illegal to catch. Therefore, my question to Bahamians is; why kill out our fisheries, one of our main industry and one that has sustained us for years. We went from having lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner to not being able to find it at all. My research question is ‘ how does our businesses and daily practices affect us and how can we correct it?’

Azariah Brice
    Participant

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/06/758358451/oil-seen-leaking-from-hurricane-hit-facility-on-grand-bahama-island

The reason I chose this link, is due to the fact that I am actively interested in environmental issues following hurricane Dorian. As well as the fact that there is no mention to this date of how much oil has been spilled into the marine environment which should be alarming to most. That area in which the oil spill happened is a prime fishing location as well as a tourist destination which means a huge blow to the economic status of the island. Environmentally, this oil spill can be extremely detrimental to the coral reefs that surround our island that serve two purposes: acting as a buffer during the storm and acting as a nursery for young marine life. With the thought of our coral reefs in that area possibly being destroyed from this oil spill, I found this article quite interesting.

Georgina Laddus
    Participant

Georgina Laddus
    Participant

The video in the link posted shows two members of Strategic Response Partners Environmental Strike team giving a brief summary of what they have encountered since their arrival. The reason why I selected this video, is the fact that the trained professionals shown at the site of the oil spill are giving their raw and expert report on how large and catastrophic the oil spill after Hurricane Dorian really is. Jake Lozecki, a First Response Hazmat Expert, who works with Strategic Response Partners says, “The process of cleaning the oil and removing it is extreme. The amount of extraction and back trucks and containers and pumps will take ages to complete. The damage is absolutely unbelievable.”. That statement was the most interesting part of the video for me because it really expresses the extent of ground, wildlife and possibly water pollution. Some of the questions that this raises are: How long will the cleaning process take? What effects will this have presently, and in the future in terms of human health and the well-being of the surrounding ecosystems? How is the oil being contained so that it does not spread to other areas? Will groundwater eventually be contaminated? In terms of climate change, while oil spills are not directly related to climate change, are there any indirect ways that oil spills can impact climate change. As a result of the oil spill, will nearby families have to move further away from the site of contamination and if so, how will they be assisted?

Dionne Bowe
    Participant

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/06/758358451/oil-seen-leaking-from-hurricane-hit-facility-on-grand-bahama-island.

I choose this link because it shows you how major oil companies are poisoning our people, either by air pollution or water pollution. Grand Bahamians have written several complaints, articles, etc that expresses our concerns about the oil spilling in Grand Bahama. There has been no effort to prevent the spilling of oil or the proper exposal of oil. This has been an ongoing problem for several years and we are only destroying our land and people. Tourism is known as the Bahamas top industry. We offer several water activities to our tourists, if oil companies continue to allow oil spills, we would contaminate the water severely making it dangerous to swim in or for fishes to live in. This would result in a major recession in Grand Bahama. We already are devastated from Hurricane Dorian, we don’t need our major industry being jeopardized or our natives becoming poison because of the lack of efforts made upon the major oil companies behalf.

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

ALL of these sources are SPOT-ON!! Great work so far for this subtopic research cluster.  For those still wanting to Post on this subtopic: I did add YouTube videos as a good information source – especially local news channels like ZNS News or EyeWitness News which had a special session about the oil spill last week- I will look for and post.

If you are posting in this group and are interested in writing about this topic for the research paper – you will need to continue scanning and collecting information about this issue – especially here in GRAND BAHAMA – and even specific groups, persons, or companies and their efforts or concerns. We will need to identify a person to interview about this issue in Grand Bahama – I am working on identifying a person with Dr. Moxey, and setting that up for the next couple of weeks. So keep it up. You will need to make your subtopic selection and submit a draft Research Question by end of day Monday, Nov. 11th. I will be posting the video and assignment and example questions today (Friday Nov. 8th) – but you all have some great ones here so far! You are working the research process !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.