Project: Climates of Inequality in The Bahamas

Clean drinking water, aquifer protection

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ethan Knowles 1 week, 5 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

Post a link to a source of information about this topic that interests you. This source can be any media – newspaper, website, report, a posting in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a link and comment from a WhatsApp group. It could be something someone made (like a meme, video or text message/post ) about the issue of having clean drinking water and aquifer protection here in Grand Baham or the northern Bahamas before, during or after Dorian.  Most of you had examples of the issues you identified – so here I want you to post a source of information about it – so we can all be on same page as to what is being said “out there” that our audience is talking about. TRY TO preview the posts before posting to avoid duplication. I don’t want 5 images of water bottles here!

After you post it — then comment about it. Why did you select it – and how can we use this to help shape our research – what questions does this raise for us here and now in terms of climate change and climate justice?

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

A LOT of students talked about water quality and protecting the aquifer as an important issue AFter Dorian — please post your local source of information about Grand Bahama or The Bahamas. There has been some coverage in the problem with the water in Grand Bahama — so look up — Freeport News, Nassau Tribune, Nassau Guardian, as well as ZNS News or EyeWitness News (in YouTube) has information about drinking water and aquifer contamination after Dorian.

If you are posting in this group and are interested in writing about this topic for the research essay – After you POst your one item here — you will need to continue scanning and *collecting information* about this issue – focused here in GRAND BAHAMA – and identify and look at information from specific groups, persons, or companies and their efforts. We will need to identify a person to interview about this issue in Grand Bahama – I am working on identifying people to help and setting that up now. So keep it up. You will need to make your subtopic selection and submit a draft *Research Question* by end of day Monday, Nov. 11th. I will be posting the video and assignment and example questions today. You need to work the research process — review my video lecture on Introduction to Academic Research and the Research Process if necessary!

Dr. Sally Everson
    Participant

https://waterkeeper.org/magazine/volume-13-issue-2/waterkeeper-bahamas-who-is-waterkeeper-alliance/

This is an example of an organization here in The Bahamas who are working on protecting the aquifers. I will investigate to see if there is a person in Freeport who this research group can interview for this project. Or maybe we can interview Rashema T. Ingraham on Zoom or through a video chat.

Ethan Knowles
    Participant

https://www.mercycorps.org/articles/one-month-after-hurricane-dorian-bahamas

I chose this topic due to its importance for our island. Two months after Hurricane Dorian left its mark on the Northern Islands of The Bahamas, locals are still left to bathe in buckets of water due to the contaminated . This article speaks on how Mercy Corp tagged along with the Mission Resolve Foundation to provide purified drinking water for the citizens on the island. This benefits our research by allowing us to elaborate on this organizations purpose for Grand Bahama. Are they paving the way for the elimination of plastic water bottles which are the main cause of pollution in our world today ? I also find interest on the installation of the new water treatment plant providing suitable drinking water.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.